- © Photo: AP Photo/The Denver Post,
© Photo: AP Photo/The Denver Post,
MOSCOW, November 1 (R-Sport) – Released on bail after spending a night in jail on kidnapping and assault charges, Colorado Avalanche goaltender Semyon Varlamov is "completely ready" to return to NHL action later Friday and will start against the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday, his father told R-Sport.
The 25-year-old Russian had a $5,000 bond posted at his Denver County Court arraignment on Thursday, when he was officially read the charges that allegedly relate to an incident involving his girlfriend earlier in the week.
Now free to travel but with a restraining order in place, Varlamov is yearning for the welcome distraction of his day job, his father Alexander told R-Sport.
“I can say that he is completely ready to play and he is in a good mood,” Alexander Varlamov said. “Semyon will be in the roster for the game against Dallas. The whole team supported him, including the head coach Patrick Roy.”
Later, Alexander Varlamov told R-Sport that his son "will start from the first minute" against the Canadiens on Saturday.
The Denver Post, meanwhile, has posted a video interview with the alleged victim, Russian model Evgenia Vavrinyuk, who claimed Varlamov kicked her in the chest and knocked her down, then stomped on her while she was on the ground. According to Vavrinyuk, it was the fifth time Varlamov had assaulted her, but the first time it had happened in the U.S., where she felt able to inform the authorities.
The charge of second-degree kidnapping is a felony that carries a maximum six-year prison term, while the assault charge is a misdemeanor. A second so-called advisement hearing was set for November 14, when Varlamov will be able to enter a plea if charged.
News of Varlamov's arrest sent shockwaves in his native Russia and even prompted speculation from a nationalist parliamentarian that it was part of a plot to sabotage Russia's tilt at men's hockey gold at the Sochi 2014 Olympics in February.
Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko, however, sounded a note of caution.
"There is no need in seeking some kind of point or subtext or political consipracy," he said. "I hope that everything will be OK. I read the interview with his father, and he's convinced that nothing happened," Mutko said, referring to the R-Sport interview.
"Let's hope this all ends well and that we have a worthy candidate to take to Sochi."