- © RIA Novosti. Vladimir Fedorenko
© RIA Novosti. Vladimir Fedorenko
MOSCOW, December 30 (R-Sport) - Dynamo Moscow’s young striker Alexander Kokorin has won R-Sport’s Russian Player of the Year award.
Kokorin, 21, triumphed after a year that has seen him score 14 times in 35 games for Dynamo and cement a place in the Russian national team, winning 11 of his 12 caps so far.
Second place went to Zenit St. Petersburg’s consistently outstanding midfielder Roman Shirokov, with third place going to CSKA Moscow playmaker Alan Dzagoev, who starred at Euro 2012.
Last year’s prize was won by Ivorian striker Seydou Doumbia, but foreign stars made little impression in 2012, with Anzhi Makhachkala’s tall hitman Lacina Traore fifth, CSKA midfielder Keisuke Honda eighth and Anzhi star Samuel Eto’o 10th.
The award is voted on by the staff of R-Sport's Russian- and English-language editions and open to any footballer playing in Russia.
The top 10:
1. Alexander Kokorin (Dynamo Moscow)
2. Roman Shirokov (Zenit St. Petersburg)
3. Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow)
4. Alexander Kerzhakov (Zenit St. Petersburg)
5. Lacina Traore (FC Kuban, Anzhi Makhachkala)
6. Igor Denisov (Zenit St. Petersburg)
7. Dmitry Kombarov (Spartak Moscow)
8. Keisuke Honda (CSKA Moscow)
9. Vyacheslav Malafeev (Zenit St. Petersburg)
10. Samuel Eto’o (Anzhi Makhachkala)