- © RIA Novosti. Gigory Sysoev
© RIA Novosti. Gigory Sysoev
MOSCOW, December 29 (R-Sport) – WBA cruiserweight champion Denis Lebedev’s representative Vlad Hrunov told R-Sport on Sunday he has asked the boxing authority to postpone the purse bids for the Russian's rematch against Guillermo Jones.
After Hrunov and Don King, representing Jones, failed to agree on a contract last week, the WBA announced an auction to be held in Panama on January 6 with a minimum price of $200,000.
“We are in contact with Don King and we are holding difficult negotiations,” Hrunov said. “We have turned to WBA to postpone the purse bids until January 26. Don King’s party doesn’t mind. It is connected with the fact that most of people are now on vacations.”
Jones stopped Lebedev on a technical knockout in Moscow in May to claim the Russian’s title, but the WBA handed the belt back to Lebedev when Jones failed a drug test. Jones was made WBA champion in recess on the condition he must fight Lebedev again. Don King won rights to the first fight with his bid of $712,000.
Lebedev has 25 wins and two defeats from 27 fights, including the loss to Jones in May, while the Panamanian is 39-3 with two draws.